My brother Hunter left on his mission on Wednesday, May 30th. I'm going to be honest- it was a really awful day. I'd shed lots of tears leading up the day he left as I thought about how much I would miss him or about events he would miss (selfish reasons). Other times I cried just because I was SO proud of him. I cried because I couldn't believe he was all grown up too. Pretty much, I'm a baby and cry all the time. But you can't quite prepare for that final goodbye at the MTC. It was quite heart-wrenching. Even though it was exactly where we all wanted him to be, we knew it was where he was supposed to be, and we felt extremely proud and happy for him, it was still so hard. The days following the MTC weren't too fun either- I just felt sorta depressed.
BUT, church today has rejuvenated me! I feel so excited for him and my perspective is much better now. I've been thinking about how blessed my little family has been because of Robert serving a mission. I've been thinking about the people he taught and the stories he tells. And about the Christ-like man he became because he spent 2 years in service to our Heavenly Father. I've been thinking about how blessed my childhood was because my dad served a mission as well. Which led me to think about Robert's mom & dad, brothers, nephews, and my cousins and family members that have served missions. All of which, have brought so many blessings to our whole family! I know Hunter is going to be amazingly blessed all throughout his lifetime for this same sacrifice he is making. My testimony has been strengthened so much this last week. What an example he is to me! I think I've learned more from him than he has from me, and I'm the older sister here. :) I can't wait to watch him learn and grow! Hopefully I can do the same while he is gone!
We had such a fun week leading up to him leaving, spending almost every day up at my parent's house in Tremonton. We swam, went to the Flowrider in Ogden, watched movies late into the night, had a sleepover, chatted, cried, laughed, BBQed, and just savored every moment with him. It was a blast! (I'll post some pics of this stuff later- they are on my phone)
His setting apart on Tuesday night was beautiful and a really spiritual experience for my family.
Below are pictures from the day we dropped him off at the MTC-
If you looked at Hunter's mission blog that I posted about previously, than you will have already seen these pictures, but I want them in my blog book, so I'm putting them here as well.
Lunch at California Pizza Kitchen. The guys telling him what to expect when he gets to the MTC.
That's the Hunter I love on the left. :)
Walking to the Provo Temple to take pictures and say goodbye...
It was a beautiful day outside.
Drake will be 4 1/2 when Hunter gets home. Crazy! Isn't he so lucky though to have his uncle set such a great example for him. They are best buddies and Drake really misses him, but we will have so much fun sending letters and teaching Drake about Uncle Hunter on his mission.
Families on the left saying goodbye to their missionaries...
Dad stuffed Hunter's suit coat pockets with money when Hunter wasn't looking.
Advice from Dad...
Driving into the MTC. Dad kept it light and said to the traffic guide, "Hi, we're looking for Wendy's?" haha!
Elder Payne's drop-off number. 24= 24 months! We all loved this!
Love you Hunts!
(Oh Sheesh, I'm crying again...I've GOT to stop looking at these pictures now)




1 comment:
lindsay, this made me cry too! ha ha! and you thought YOU were a baby!;) i remember when my little brother left on his mission, it is so hard! but so good, and before you know it, he'll be back again :) there are so many who choose not to go on a mission these days, your brother is one of the ones making the right decision! yay for him!
Post a Comment