I finally had a day off from work today (a day off to me = a day I don't have to go to work at 5pm OR a day that I didn't work the night before and therefore only get 3 hours of sleep). With a full nights rest last night and an entire day to get things done, this was my list:
- Put laundry away (from folding yesterday)
- Wash reds and tans
- Clean bathrooms
- Clean kitchen
- Dust upstairs
- Blog St. George trip
- Get updated on blogs and Facebook (cause I haven't been online in a week)
- Work on Relief Society presidency stuff
- Grocery shopping
- Pick and order family pictures
I halfway accomplished #2. Just did #6 at 11pm. Oh, and I did #9 because we needed food for dinner. BUT.....I didn't feel like cooking so we ended up ordering take-out from Wingers- hahaha. Oh wow!
That is seriously depressing. What DID I do today? I did cuddle lots with Drake. I did get ready for the day. I did visit my Grandma Rose in the nursing home. I did watch TV.
I guess there is always tomorrow right? The problem is that I keep telling myself that.
Okay, so now for my PROUD MOM Moment-
Drake and I ventured to the grocery store at 1:30 today. He takes a nap at 12:30 so I knew he would be tired and I'd need to be fast. When we walked in, I tried to stand in front of the carts with the cars attached to the front so he wouldn't see them. He always wants to ride in the car when we go to the store, but then only stays in it for about 5 minutes and then wants out. Then, I'm left with a small cart with a giant car attached to the front and no where to put Drake that he can't get out of. Alas, he saw the dang car-cart and really wanted to get in it, so I gave in.
No surprise! After three minutes of shopping, he climbed right out of that car and was done with that whole thing. I had already filled it with fresh produce and was now pushing the giant thing everywhere with a crazed almost-2-year old running around! He was seriously insane today. SPRINTING down the aisles. I kept having to leave the cart and chase after him. He thought it was the funniest game ever. Little stinker. I'm so lucky that my purse wasn't stolen for all the times I left my cart. He was being pretty naughty and it was frustrating, but I just hurried so we could get out of there and I could get him down for a nap.
While I was standing at the check-out, Drake took off for the automatic doors so I left my wallet sitting there (thank you good people of Brigham for not stealing it) and ran after him. I set him up on the counter so he was right next to me. I had barely been able to fit all of my stuff into the "car-cart" so I told the nice checker that I was going to run go grab a real cart so it would be easier to fit it all. I took off for the front and while bringing the cart back, I realized I had just left Drake sitting there on the edge of the counter. Agh! The sweet checker lady said I had scared her by leaving him there. I said "I'm so sorry! I was walking back and realized I had left him there- I don't know what I was thinking!" So there's my first moment.
I continued checking out and stood right next to where Drake was sitting on the counter. He grabbed my wallet and threw a bunch of the cards out. Thanks, Drake. I grabbed them and put them back in and took the wallet. Then, I realized he had my debit card and he had bent it completely in half. By this time, I was about ready to pick him up, grab my purse and head for the car without the groceries. I was so done. I'm glad I was in a good mood today. Instead of being mad and frustrated, I was just laughing and frustrated. Laughing at myself and the scene I was making.
After I paid (my debit card still worked!), the bagger asked if he could help me out to my car, and the checker answered "Yes!" and looked at me and said "I think you have your hands full enough!" She was so sweet to me. She could tell I was having a rough day. I told her thanks and headed for the door with my wallet. I realized the bagger wasn't following with my cart and turned around only to find him still standing by the check-out. I wondered why he wasn't following me then realized that Drake was STILL SITTING THERE. Oh good heavens! Seriously! Did I seriously just leave my son sitting there again?
I grabbed him and dashed to the exit with my blinders on because I'm sure everyone around me was probably laughing, pointing, and mocking me. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but that's how I felt. Seriously, what an idiot.
Then, to top it ALL off. While walking ahead of the bagger/cart to my car, I reached in my purse to get my keys. Once again, I suddenly realized the guy wasn't following me and turned around to find him picking up a binki, pen, and a bunch of other junk that had fallen out of my purse when I had pulled out my keys. I told him I probably looked like the most crazy mother trying to shop with her kid and he assured me that he'd seen far worse. How sweet of him to make up such a white-lie to make me feel better!
I'm never going to the grocery store again.
With that fun story out of the way, I now present my Thankful Thoughts for the day.
Today, I'm thankful for:
- The bagger who carried out my groceries today. Did you know in Europe they do not bag your groceries or even give you bags for your groceries, let alone walk you to your car and load them for you? I'm truly so thankful that local grocers do that.
- The sweet lady who checked me out at the grocery store. I'm thankful for kind people that don't make me feel stupid when I don't have control of my son in public places. There were lots of people who were smiling and saying how adorable Drake was as he was running through the grocery store aisles. So thankful for people who remember what it was like for them when they had children that age and don't judge.
- Seeing my Grandma Rose SO genuinely happy. She is doing 10 times better.
- That Drake isn't afraid of the nursing home and the people there. He's so friendly. I have to admit, it can be a little uncomfortable for me sometimes, but it's getting easier. Even at 1 & 11/12ths of a year old, he's teaching me important lessons.
- Our family's health. I realized the other day, that we have not had to take Drake to the doctor for a sick-visit since he was 8 months old. So thankful! Rob says it's his genes. He's probably right. Rob never gets sick. Thankful for his genes if that's the case!
- Crafty people online that I can copy cause I sure don't have a crafty bone in my body.
- Julie babysitting for me on Monday and feeding my family. Do you know how amazing you are Jules? I love you!
- Texting
- My mom buying us a giant box of diapers for Drake
- Cuddles
- Moments like this when Rob and I exchange a smile because Drake has just done something so darn cute.
- And today, I'm mostly so, So, SO thankful for answers to prayers. I can't wait to announce some big, wonderful, exciting news (another reason for the Winger's take-out), but it will have to wait for a few days! But, it's amazing! (And no, I'm not pregnant if that's where your mind is going)
I'm not going to re-read this to check grammar/spelling cause I need to get to bed. My apologies if it's a rough read.
9 comments:
LOL, I liked reading that because it sounds like my trips when I venture out. Try doing it with 2 rowdy boys...LOL! Thanks for the post!
Im glad you added the non pregnant clause because I totally was thinking that. There are times I go places and wonder how moms ever do it with more than one because sometimes one is to many but I guess all you can do is laugh. Oh and I think the only people that would judge you would be the ones that have never had kids or have forgotten what its like there were probably more sympathetic looks or laughs remembering what it was like, its hard to believe but Im sure we will miss these stages because they grow so fast. Heres to getting nothing done but cuddling, eating, and watching tv.
I'm so so so happy for your awesome news!
And I just have to say how much I love you for sharing that story about the grocery store. I can't tell you how many times during those years with everyone tiny I DREADED going to the grocery store. Everyone was crazy, it was chaos, pickle jars were inches from crashing to the floor, and I just KNEW that everyone was staring and judging. But rarely were they (with a few glaring exceptions). I really appreciated the people who remembered, like you mentioned.
And those carts were the WORST idea ever! I appreciate the newer ones where the racecar portion is up top like a normal cart, but I still try to convince my boys that we need the regular carts. I'm winning more often on that one, thank goodness. I have a hard time with those giant clunky carts. They're hard to steer! I am really thankful for them, though, for those earlier years. They saved my bacon when I was taking four little ones to the store with me. :)
You are an awesome mom and I'm glad you were able to have a good day with perspective and laughs and rest. You deserve it! You're amazing for working the schedule you're working and still making time to be the mom Drake is lucky to have! I just love you and admire you so much.
Oh my gosh, you made me laugh so hard and only because I can totally 100% identify! Crazy, overtired kids can really frazzle a mom but you handled it just right. I can't say I've always handled moments like that very well so pat yourself on the back! Oh and I'm dying about this announcement you are keeping from us (I totally thought you were going to announce a pregnancy:) Anyway, can't wait to hear whatever it is!
Oh man. I laughed through this entire story. Oh the things that I have to look forward to! I am sorry you felt like the crazy lady. I am sure every mother goes through that feeling.
As I'm sitting here reading your post, I had just told Orrin "I have a great big list of chores to do, but I don't want to do any of them, so I'm going to avoid them". So here I am reading your blog! How about you do my jobs, I will do your? Or we could just help each other?
Loved the story about Drake. I laughed and laughed. I am so glad they were nice to you at the store. I go to a specific store here b/c they are soooo nice and they always take the groceries to my car. They all think Lucy is the cutest thing ever.
wow, that definitely sounds like the shopping trip from HE**!! and look at you still finding things to be thankful for in all that!;) ha ha! love you linds, you crack me up! :)
Hahaha- oh goodness!! I've decided that grocery shopping with a kid is a major cardio exercise. It's exhausting and frustrating... And you have my deepest sympathy!
This post was absolutely delightful and brought back many "harried mom" memories from years ago! Feel so good that you handled this one with such grace. I just read a journal entry of mine to Cindy just to let her know that "yes" I did "lose it" periodically when I was raising four little ones! And by the way, you are a wonderful writer and a VERY GOOD MOM! Love you, darlin'!
Post a Comment