Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy Birthday Old Man!

Happy 50th Birthday to my dad today!
We had a surprise birthday for him last night. What a success! He had no idea and we were sure he'd find out somehow (he usually figures those things out). But, he didn't and he was overwhelmed with gratitude for all the friends and family that cared about him so much to come celebrate! I'll post pictures later.
This is a poem I wrote for him for the "roast" we put on in his honor. I tried to think of all the the funny things and great things about my dad. Hope you like it-

My Dad
By: Lindsay Hunsaker

Hi Dad! Hey Dad! How are you tonight?
Tomorrow you’re turning 50! Mom says you’re putting up a fight!

50’s not so bad, you know. Yeah, you’re old, but you’re still a stud!
Look at all who came to celebrate with you. You’re everyone’s best bud!

You’re a friend, a father-in-law, an uncle, the best grandfather around,
You’re a brother, you’re a son, and that guy who makes weird sounds.

But, only a few can claim what I can. Just 5 of us in this room.
You’re MY DAD. Now sit down, let’s talk a bit about you.

My Dad. Great Dad. The best that there could be.
Someone get my dad a Diet Coke…he’s looking jittery!

Traveling dad. Vacationing dad. Bringing whoever wants to come along.
Itsy, bitsy bladder dad, which makes road trips extra long!

My dad is friends with everyone. Just look on facebook.com.
He’s the dad who sat on the front porch with a rifle on the night of my junior prom.

My dad is known for sneaking into the locker room at the Jazz game or finding ways to get free things.
But, we’d all agree in a crowd, at home, church, or most anywhere, he’s known for DISAPPEARING!

My dad is a pyro! His firework show is a spectacle for the eye!
But, once the police show up, all you’ll hear is, “Illegal fireworks? No! Not I!”

I’ve heard story after story about my dad, but I think the best might be.
When in high school, he and his friends opened every fire hydrant in Tremonton on main street.

He’s a Silly dad. Crazy dad. Never-serious dad, sometimes so weird!
But a Christ-like, patient, loving dad…The Father of the year.

Doesn’t push dad. Doesn’t pry dad. Gives the very best advice.
Always there for anyone dad. Being late is his only vice.

Loves all things sports dad, would spend days working on Hunter’s baseball swing.
But, was also present and supportive at every concert, dance recital, and game when I was cheerleading.

Dad who makes each kid feel like they’re his favorite- a very hard thing to do!
Dad who at my college graduation, silently slipped me a small note reading, “I’M SO PROUD OF YOU.” (My most favorite memory)

Growing older, but growing wiser. So don’t you dare be sad!
Happy 50 years young, old man! I’m so proud to call you DAD!

Happy B-day Daddy!
Love you so much!

P.S. We're trying to get as many people as possible to bug him today about being over the hill, so if you know my dad- calls, texts, facebook messages would be great! Let's rub it in!

5 comments:

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

Ah, that is so sweet Linds!! Think about it was are halfway of a little more to 50..LOL!

Trav and Britt said...

lindsay, even though i don't know your dad, this made me laugh hard! what an awesome thing of you to do for him! :) and you are a talented poet! hope to see ya at work soon :)

Jocelyn said...

Great poem, Linds! Your dad is truly awesome... love him!!

Cindy said...

That is so sweet! Happy Birthday to Uncle Bob!! I think he is the best!

Charlotte and Nate Braithwaite said...

First of all, I love that Drake knee-walks. That is hilarious! The things kids think of. Also, I love your dad! If I had anyway to give him a hard time about being 50, I would, tell him for me!