Friday, March 2, 2012

Project Organization: Christmas Cards

I LOVE getting Christmas cards! It's one of my favorite parts of the holidays!

I have a really hard time throwing away all the cards that are sent to us. I love looking at the pictures and seeing how families have changed. They are also the only pictures I have in my home of our friends and family (except for a few of our immediate family).

So, I DON'T throw them away.
I keep them and enjoy them.

Last year, I took the time to put all of our Christmas cards into a book. It looked nice having them all in a book, but I quickly realized that since one year of Christmas cards had filled an entire book, I was going to have to purchase a book every year. In 20 years, I'd have 20 books! Yikes, no thanks.

So, I did this 1-hour project.

I bought a small, cute storage box at Walmart ($7.77) and threw a label reading "Cards" inside the little slot for a label. Are you following? haha.
Using my paper cutter, I cut out 15 cardstock rectangles (because that was all the paper I had) to use as dividers for the box. I just made them as wide as the inside of the box and as tall as the largest Christmas card I had. I quickly made a label for each one up until the year 2023 (which is so weird to think about) and stuck them on each divider.
The last and hardest step-
Put everything in the box.
Could it be any simpler or quicker?
As you can see, there is PLENTY of room for growth.
It will be such an easy thing to keep up each year.
And it looks really cute on a shelf.

Project accomplished.

What do you do to organize your Christmas cards?

2 comments:

Greg and Wendy said...

I have a sticky cork board on the side of my fridge. I cut out all the pictures from the cards and replace all the last year's pictures with the pictures from this year's cards. I love it and get many compliments on it. I throw them away after a year when I have replaced them with the updates. It's fun to see how everyone's families have grown/changed over the year. I love organizing ideas and am doing my own version of your earlier organizing post. Thanks so much for sharing, Lindsay!

Cindy said...

Um...they are stuck in a filing cabinet...yikes, I can't believe I even admitted that. You are so crafty and so organized and I really need to be better. Such a cute idea and one that I might copy if I ever get around to it. Thanks LInds!